Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Jet Lag... I'm a believer!

So, I've always heard friends and coworkers talk about "jet lag", but I will have to admit that I never quite could relate. I've traveled quite a bit, but never really experienced it. I always chalked it up to my erratic sleeping schedule, figuring that since my body never really had any idea when it would be getting sleep next, it was just grateful when I didn't have a couple of cups of coffee in me and actually put myself to bed at a decent hour. It wasn't about to try to be difficult just because we were in a different time zone! :)

That is, until now - I'm a believer... I've been in London for about 4 full days now and will be heading back to the States in another 5 days. According to NASA estimates, you need one day for every one-hour time zone crossed to regain normal rhythm and energy levels. So the 6-hour time difference means that I will require six days to get back to normal! It sounds like if I hang in there, things should get better in a couple days, just enough time so that I can experience this whole process again state-side! :)

All in all, I do have to say, despite the VERY painful meetings I am struggling to stay awake in during the day, this "jet lag" experience has been quite beneficial... So far, during the twilight hours over here, I've finished reading Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller, which definitely gave me a different perspective on a few things. I have taught myself how to knit, with a very cute pink scarf now in the works. And I have finally gotten this blog up and running with my first official post!

Any suggestions on how I should spend my last couple of nights of "jet lag" productivity? Who knows what could be next! :)

6 comments:

Joel said...

Hmmm...have you memorized Colossians yet?

I haven't traveled out of the country in a few months, but I am struggling to stay awake during some of my meetings, too. Do you think that's a residual jet lag effect? :)

Todd Richards said...

Welcome to blogging, Jessica... we will need to discuss "Blue Like Jazz" as it is one of my favorites as well.

As for jet lag... I became a believer years ago. But I think the time that it affected me the most was returning from India in 2001. I went in to work around 5:00 am because I just couldn't sleep... and I realized my upstairs neighbor kept very odd hours. She would come home at 2:00 am and run on her treadmill... very odd.

Jessica said...

Thanks for your comments guys!

Joel - Good suggestion on Colossians; I'm way behind... I'll look into that residual jet lag effect..

Todd - We'll definitely have to chat; that book opened up a lot of new perspectives for me on things... As for your old neighbor, very strange. :)

Laurie said...

Have you considered walking? As in, YOU'RE IN LONDON AND YOU'RE INSIDE KNITTING!?! Sorry. Had to get that off my chest. I'm all about learning new hobbies, but not when there's a city like London to explore! :)

Jessica said...

Laurie - LOL and excellent point!

To alleviate your concerns... Most of my "knitting" was on the plane and in the midnight to 2 a.m. timeframe. :)

Laurie said...

Jessica I'm so glad the knitting is "after hours". :)

And I just read your post about visiting the British Museum. It sounds like you are having some great experiences. I love London too!

Seeing the Rosetta Stone and King Tut's mummy at the museum was pretty cool when I was there.