Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Expecting the Unexpected

This topic has actually been in a running list of "things I want to blog about" for several months now, but over the last several weeks so many aspects of this idea have never been so real to me...

One of the things I've realized about myself is how often I'm amazed by how quickly God can shake things up, surprised by how specifically He answers prayers, overwhelmed by opportunities that can only be orchestrated by His hand. His blessings, and sorrows as well, often take me by surprise; they come so unexpectedly... Or do they, really?

While I've learned so much about trusting Him more fully and running to Him quickly during these times, I still ask myself - why is it that I am so surprised when I see glimpses of how God is working? I serve a BIG God, who does BIG things... He is RISEN and intimately involved in the details of our lives. He is NEAR. He sovereignly causes all things to work together for good to the glory of His Name!!

Why do I not learn to expect the unexpected? To pray in faith at ALL times. To boldly seek His face and will to be done in my life at ALL times. To say "YES, LORD!" immediately and quickly to ALL the unexpected blessings and sorrows that come my way. To live in eager expectation of the next moment I will see His hand, the next time I will hear His voice, the next opportunity I will see Him working in my life and the lives of those I love. Will I ever fully attain this depth of intimacy? Surely it will take an eternity... He knows me more fully than I know myself. In my humanity, I will never be able to anticipate or expect anything close to what He has in store for me... Praise God!

Part of my "surprise", I think, will always remain as I stand in humble awe of His amazing love and grace raining down in my life, but my prayer is this: Lord, increase my faith and continue to teach me how to live in passionate expectation of Your will in my life! You have made Yourself known to me. Help me to expect Your unexpectedness!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! He has definitely brought you the unexpected and will continue to BLESS you richly as you stay in the center of His Will!

Dustin said...

WE NEED AN UPDATE

Dustin said...

I am "expecting" a new blog entry.

Anonymous said...

do tell

Dustin said...

...the board is going to put you on "Joel Bain" notice if we don't get an update within the next 24 hours.

Respectfully,
The Board

Anonymous said...

I'm expecting the unexpected, which is now a new original post;-)

Jessica said...

Sheesh, give a girl a break!