Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Duck, Duck, Duck, Goose!!



So, the client that I am working for right now is located in a complex made up of a few different buildings. Given a short supply in parking, many mornings when the parking garage attached to the building I work in is filled, I have to park in a garage at another building in the complex.

Along the walk back to my building, there is a nicely planned wooded area with jogging trails and a small pond setting where the aforementioned "ducks and geese" dwell (ah ha! I get the title now). Well, on the topic of these ducks and geese, I was a little surprised to find out a while back that they are actually little more than rented performers. Apparently the tenants of the buildings consider them to be a valuable investment in adding to the ambiance of the complex.

And while I find the concept of renting ducks and geese rather strange, I do have to admit, I like having them around. They are full of character and usually make me smile or laugh on my way into the office. Although, I have found myself one too many times in a tango with a duck refusing to let me pass on the sidewalk. I move to my left; he moves to his right. I move to my right; he moves to his left... Aaarrrggghhh - get out of my way! I'm wearing heels, and I'm NOT walking in the grass, Duck!!

All in all, my favorite part is when they cross the road six or seven at a time, all in a row, backing up 3-4 cars worth of traffic, all on their way to get to work or to get home (the people in the cars, not the ducks or geese, or maybe they are too... yikes grammar police!). This just happened again today as I was walking back to my car this afternoon, and all you can do is look at the drivers in the cars, shake your head and laugh, and remind yourself that maybe you should take a break and slow down for a few moments too. For this (or these ducks and geese) too shall pass... :)

6 comments:

Dustin said...

AFLAC!

Laurie said...

I love this story! Great stuff. My brother and I each owned a duckling when we lived in east Texas. Their names were Fluffy and Howard and they thought I was their mother. I would sit on the floor and they would come running up to me, flapping their little baby wings, and climb up my body to nestle on my neck and go to sleep. So cute!

Jessica said...

Laurie - So fun! There are babies coming soon out here as well... They are the cutest. :)

Dare I ask what happened to your ducklings when they grew up??

Laurie said...

Well...we did live in the country...and they were outdoor ducks...and there was a lot of wildlife in the area...so ummm...I leave you to put the evidence together. But they did live to be grown-ups. Fluffy even laid a few eggs.

Dustin said...

So should we call Laurie, "Mother goose" or "Mother ducky"?

Me said...

We have ducks out here too, and I have always assumed they are just part of the natural wildlife that populates our campus, but now you've got me wondering. Could the deer be rented too?!?